Es war der 1. Dezember des letzten Jahres als die Herren Starfucker (auch Strfkr abgekürzt) die Bühne im Schlachthof Wiesbaden mit Petula bzw. Gold Panda teilten und wir ihren tanzbaren Indie-Elektro-Zwittern verfielen. Mittlerweile befindet sich die Band wieder in der Heimat Amerika und fand zwischen all den Tour-Eskapaden sogar ein wenig Zeit, um unseren Interview-Fragebogen auszufüllen – Starfucker im Bedroomdisco Interview!
© Tyler Kohlhoff
1.) Band facts
– Name: Starfucker
– Band members: Joshua Hodges, Shawn Glassford, Keil Corcoran
– Founding year: 2007
– Residence: Portland, Oregon
– Current album: Reptilians
– How did you start making music – had you been forced to play an instrument somehow or was it in your own interest? What was your motivation?
No one made me, I found a guitar in my moms closet and she showed me the couple chords she knew.
– How did you meet?
I met Keil at the mall food court, Orange Julius actually. We met Shawn at the H4 club during bingo.
– At first Joshua was doing solo-projects – at which point did it become necessary to add band members to the line-up?
Once I realized I didn’t actually know how to play any of the instruments I was like, better get some real musicians in here.
– In which situation did you come up with the name ‘Starfucker’, why did you choose it and what meaning has it for you?
I just wanted to curse the band with a name so dumb that no one would ever take it seriously and think we were trying to actually be a band.
– You also did change the name of the band quite often – why? And are you now planning to stay with the name?
Names get old. We just voted to change it to Peach Poopy, but it won’t happen till the next album comes out.
– Did you know that there is also a German Rolling Stones coverband with the name ‘Starfucker’? Do you now need to change your name again?
I hate that song, and it’s actually called “star star”. Cause the stones are old pussies and let their record label name it for them. There’s also a stupid song but another old fucker called “starfuckers inc.” but this project is in no way paying any kind of tribute to either one of those songs. The name is meant to be tongue in cheek.
– How do you normally work on songs? What are the steps/processes, what are the usual problems of finishing a song?
It’s a lot like masturbation. I always write and record at the same time, just mess around with junk till it feels right.
– Could you tell us something about the production process of ‘Reptilians’? How long did it take, where did it happen, what were the difficulties, how did you prepare for it? What was the best, what the worst moment? Most told anecdote?
It was fun. I started a lot of the songs in the van on tour and then we finished them up with jacob portrait (of UMO) in a studio in Portland.
– The record focuses primarily on death and the end of the world – how did it come to that and how do you think does this fit to your music which is always danceable?
I write what I think about. I like it when it can be about heavy stuff but not with heavy music.
– For the record you worked together with Jacob Portrait – how did it come to that, how does he work and which influence did he have to the record?
He is a friend and has a really good ear for mixing and especially getting good drum sounds. We wanted that record to sound more produced, that’s where he came in.
– ‘Bury Us Alive’ is one of our favorite songs – can you tell us what it is about, how it was done and if there is a story behind it?
It’s about waking up to a post apocalyptic world and not knowing what to do.
– In what situations do you write songs/lyrics/which themes inspire you to write songs?
I don’t know.
– What are your next plans?
Record record record.
– What are you doing if your not making music?
Not much. Try to see friends.
– What did you learn in 2011?
That JFK refused his 150k payment as president and donated it to charity instead.
– Your Top 3 records of 2011? Why?
1. UMO, self titled.
2. EMA, past life martyred saints.
3. Radiation City, the hands that take you.
Cause they’re good.
– Who did fill out this questionnaire?