Veröffentlicht am 7.04.2010 | von Dominik1
YOU SAY PARTY! WE SAY DIE! – Interview
Wie lange ist das eigentlich schon her seit der letzten Platte? Egal – viel zu lange auf jeden Fall. Die neue You Say Party! We Say Die!-Platte „XXXX“ steht jetzt zumindest schon in den Startlöchern und entschädigt für das lange Warten. Grund genug mal bei den Kanadiern nachzufragen, was sich denn in der Zwischenzeit getan hat, wie das neue Album entstand und was es überhaupt mit diesen ganzen Xen auf sich hat. Angereichert wird das Ganze mit der großen neuen Single „There Is XXXX (Within my Heart)“ (siehe Video unten), dem Hinweiß, dass das Album ab dem 18. Juni in den Läden steht und dass die Band am 26. April live im Hafen 2 in Offenbach (empfohlen und präsentiert von www.bedroomdisco.de) zu sehen sein wird! Egal was ihr sagt – für uns sind das genug Gründe zu feiern!
1.) Band facts
– Name: You Say Party! We Say Die!
– Band members: Becky Ninkovic – Krista Loewen – Stephen O’Shea – Derek Adam – Devon Clifford
– Founding year: 2004
– Residence: Vancouver and Abbotsford, British Columbia
– Current album: XXXX
– How did you become a band?
Orginally we were a bicycle gang called „the smokin spokes“, when it started to rain, we came in doors and started a band.
– How did you come up with your band name and what meaning has it to you?
it started as a song. the crowd chanting PARTY! and DIE! it was a decision to get the „too cool for school“ attitude in our hometown scene to disappear
– How would you describe your musical style?
we’re a new wave band
– Which musical influences do you have?
music made with synthesizers between the years 1978 and 1982 – orchestral manouvers in the dark, rational youth, new order, section 25
– In your biography on your myspace-page is included that you as a band had reached a breaking point in late 2007 in Berlin – what happened there and what kept you holding together?
in november 2007 we stayed at the rock and roll hostel, the rooms are about the bars, half the band went to sleep and the other to the bar to party. after trying to sleep the people upstairs came down really angry, lots of yelling and fighting. the next morning it took 8 hours before anyone would agree to get in the van and drive to the next show.
– With „XXXX“ you seem to go in a new direction, which seems to be also been influenced by new wave and dance-pop – how did it come to this and how would you describe it?
it came very naturally, we were actually trying to write songs that would fit in between the fast punk songs we’d released on our previous 2 records. we want to have songs that added variety to the set.
– What kind of development would you see in your sound to your previous records?
there is a new ablility in the musicianship to hold back and allow room for the vocals, instead of everyone playing all at once, then becky stepped up into the role to become an amazing lead singer.
– The artwork and the videos also seem to be effected by a mixture of hearts and Xs – what is the connection of x and love/why is Love xed (like in the title of „There is XXXX (Within My Heart)“) out?
on the release of our first EP, (DANSKWAD), while becky was creating the artwork, she added 4 paper X’s as her mark of love. Those X’s were carried forward and are on all the releases since, when making this record, but suggested the title.
– How and where was „XXXX“ produced? What were the difficulties during the production process? What was the best moment?
The album was produced by Howard Redekopp (Teagan and Sara, New Pornographers). We recorded it in Vancouver from February till August. It was amazing to get to spend that much time recording, in the past we’ve spent only 2 to 3 weeks on them.
– „There Is XXXX (Within my Heart)“ is one of our favorite songs from the new record – can you tell us what’s the story behind it, how it came to existence and what makes it so special?
we wanted to create a dancefloor ready song, becky brought the riff idea to the band along with the lyrics. we worked on this one hard to get it just right. this song had a lot to do with the healing becky went through after the crazy band fight of november 2007 and the recover from health problems she had on that tour.
– The record will be released in Germany through Snowhite – how did it come to this and why did you decide to go with them?
SNOWHITE IS AWESOME! we love the label! they’ve been our friends since Kitty-yo released our GAP 7″ back in 2006, we’re glad to be working with them!
– With which person would you like to work together and why?
These New Puritans – they’re making the only interesting music i’ve heard lately. Haunting sounds and excellent execution. Perfectly Dark and Engaging
– What are your plans for 2010?
Release the record in Europe, Keep touring, throughout north america and the rest of the world, then head to china for more touring and spend a bit of time working on some new material.
– 3 top albums 2009?
the horros – primary colours
the gossip – music for men
fever ray – fever ray
– What is on your rider?
pita and hummous, ginger, lemon, hot water. that’s about it
– Which song makes you dance independent of the situation?
early interpol singles
– Who did fill out this questionnaire?
this was filled out by stephen (bass player)
Thanks Stephen! See you all in Offenbach! XXXX, Bedroomdisco!